November 17, 2009

Ground Pork Stuffed Bitter Melon Soup | Canh Muop Dang Nhoi Thit

Bitter Melon: Yay? Nay? I love this stuff. Most preferred sliced thin in a shrimp broth. I was not a fan of bitter melon when I was younger. I usually just scooped out the meaty goodness and left the veggie back. Ever since I started cooking and eating more of it, I've grown to like it more.

How I make Canh Muop Dang Nhoi Thit:



Soak a couple bundles of bean thread noodles in hot water

Cut and remove seeds from bitter melons. I like to use a butter knife for this, quick and clean.

Dice shallots, dice garlic, cut scallions separating whites from greens.

Cut drained bean thread noodles into 1 inch pieces. Mix by hand: noodles, ground pork, shallots, garlic, fish sauce, salt, black pepper, and hot pepper flakes.

Infuse oil with scallion whites and more hot pepper flakes.

Add water and bring to boil.

While waiting for water to boil, stuff bitter melons with meat mixture. Roll extra mixture into meatballs (we love extra meat).

Add stuffed bitter melons into the pot of boil soup base, after 5 minutes add the extra meatballs. Let cook and serve with white rice.

Substitute with your choice of ground meat. Below is ground beef, preferred by my younger brothers.



2 comments: