November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Week

Packed on some pounds this week. Chi Lien and her fiance, Andy, came to town and all we did was EAT!

Tuesday: Beef and swordfish hot pot. Mom made Cua Rang Hanh Xa (Crabs sauteed with onions and lemongrass)


Wednesday: Boil pork belly w/fermented fish (mam dua/mam chua), plate of mixed lettuce and herbs, steamed fish w/ garlic ginger soy sauce, kimchi and kimchi radish, left over crab and braised pork and shrimp.


Thanksgiving Thursday: Chi Phuong made the Turkey (a Paula Dean recipe), Anh Cuong made pumpkin pie, I made shrimp & smoked sausage jambalaya (Zatarain's Mix), Chi Lien made the oyster sauce asparagus saute, and everyone pitched in with the roast garlic mash potatoes, sweet corn, and bread baskets (rolls, biscuits, and croissants).


Beautiful!


Smelled so good out of oven




Mmm


Something simple and light


Being silly with the nieces, Kelly and Katelyn


Chi Lien, Chi Phuong, Lele, and Lisa


Serious.


Chi Phuong and nephew, Brendon ^_^


Wonderful dinner with family and friends. Not pictured: Phuong, Kimmie, David and Randy. Also missing my Florida and South Carolina families.


Ended the night with poker, karaoke (for us non-poker players), second round at the leftovers, and a few games of tien len.

Black Friday: Happy Birthday Lil Brother! Unfortunately, I had to work on Black Friday. Thought I'd come in a little early to leave a little early. Most of us just sat around talking about Thanksgiving. I left during lunch time to meet up with the siblings for Pho. On my way back to work one of my coworkers called to tell me that unless we needed to finish something - it was okay to go home. I drove back, finished up some reports and left for the day. Did a little shopping with the sister - but found nothing. That night, Chi Lien made Bun Bo Hue and we celebrated Khanh's 22nd Birthday.


Que Huong Restaurant: According to my brothers and some friends, this small restaurant that has no more than maybe 10 tables, is the best in town.


Vietnam's traditional conic hats as hanging lamp shades. Nice.


Goi Cuon w/ Nuoc Leo (Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce)


Lisa, Khanh, and Andy had Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich)


Me, Phuong and Khanh had Pho Dac Biet (Beef Noodle Soup) I've been craving Pho for the longest. I don't usually order Pho but I had to have it. It was good, but Mom still makes the best.


Lisa order Banh Cuon Thit Nuong Cha Lua (Rice-flour Crepes with Grill Pork and Vietnamese Pork Loaf/Ham)

Not Pictured - Lien ordered Hu Tieu (Clear Noodle Soup)

Dinner later that night...


Chi Lien cooked Bun Bo Hue


Khanh's Cake: Mocha Flavored Chinese Fruit Cake from QQ Bakery. Light and delicious.


Past birthday cakes from QQ. These are the regular flavor, but decorated differently. It's my favorite cake. Light, not overly sweet, fresh, and just good!


My Birthday


Lien's Birthday


Cuong's Birthday

Time to get back on the yogurt and granola!

6 comments:

  1. OMFG. Come feed me!! Y'all would freak out if I told you what my regular diet was like nowadays. Feeeeeeeed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid to hear. I just hope you're getting in some rice at least. Since Lien moved, the girl hasn't even cooked rice!! With your work schedule and insomnia - PLEASE eat healthy meals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you girls take so many pictures and go back and post everything you did that day!!! TMI! But its good to read once in awhile. Plus I'm bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe I feel like a paparazzi sometimes (food being the star) constantly taking pictures...camera is with me everywhere I go now...if not, I have my camera phone. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered your site...great stuff and what a great looking feast!! You're making all the good stuff that goes well with the Michigan weather...we both were there during thanksgiving too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks RC! Holidays in MI just seems so right! hehe What part did you visit?

    ReplyDelete