March 19, 2011

Agar Jelly Dessert | Rau Cau

I made this last month. Must admit, I was a little lazy to post it and because it didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it to.



For each pack of agar agar powder, you'll need 6 cups of water, 1 cup of sugar, 1 can of coconut milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and any other flavorings you might like (coffee, strawberry, pandan, etc)


Fill a small pot/sauce pan with the 6 cups of water. Stir in 1 pack of agar power and 1 cup sugar until dissolved. Add 1 can of coconut milk and bring to boil.


Pour half the mixture into your mold and let set at room temperature.


I added 1 teaspoon of strawberry extract and a little red food coloring to the other half and bring it back to a boil. Or which ever flavor you desire.


When the first layer has set, pour the rest of the mixture into the mold. Before it totally sets, I garnish with some strawberries.


I like to eat it cold, so I chill it in the refrigerator. Cut and serve!

My problem: The mold was too small and the first layer was too thick, it didn't set when I added the second layer and the two flavors blended with each other. The coconut milk separated and surfaced to the top (bottom half is a little more translucent). It's pretty though and tasted good. Note to self - next time use large mold or make layers thinner by using multiple molds! hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment