January 10, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup with Bamboo Shoot | Bun Mang Ga

Day off! Working 7 days a week, it's nice to have a break that's not on a holiday. Stayed in and did some cleaning (room was looking a terrible mess), washed a few loads of laundry, watched two episodes of the Kdrama - Will It Snow For Christmas (recommended!), and helped Phuong make Sticky Rice Cakes (Banh It).

Steamed on pieces of banana leaves, topped with scallion oil & fried onions, served with a sweet fish sauce.

We tested the dough on the Kitchen Aid mixer I got Phuong for her birthday and it works! We now know that it can handle rice flour...but the ultimate test? Tapioca starch!

I've had banh it with a pork and shrimp filling. I've had che troi nuoc, a dessert made from the same dough but filled with a sweet mung bean paste. But I've never had mung bean & pork together in a banh it before, it's surprisingly good!

I'm also going through my credit card bills to pay off all the debt I created during the holidays and birthdays. Tet is only a month away and you know the superstition - it's good luck to enter the new year debt-free. So that's what I'm doing. One of my goals this year is to better manage my money. The past year that I've had this job - I've been spending way too much. Time to start cutting back.

The winter weather is really taking its effect up here in the Mitten and soup is always nice to have on cold days like these. One of my favorites, Chicken Noodle Soup with Bamboo Shoot.

Cut a whole chicken into serving-size pieces. Put the chicken into a large pot and flavor with fish sauce, sambal chili paste, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes, a little sugar, mushroom seasoning, slices of ginger, a few cloves of crushed garlic, and 2 halved medium onions .

Prepare sour bamboo shoot (Fresh bamboo shoot if you can), sliced pineapple, and wedges of tomatoes.

Sear the chicken for 5-10 minutes on high heat, add 1 can of chicken broth and enough water to cover all the chicken. Add the bamboo and pineapple. Season the broth with salt and fish sauce. Bring to boil and let cook for about 30 minutes. Bring the heat down to medium and add the tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes and its ready. Don't forget to remove the unwanted foam that surfaces.

Serve over rice vermicelli noodles, a sprinkling of chopped cilantro and scallions, and a platter of your favorite herbs and lettuce. Condiments: Sriracha & Soy Sauce/Fish Sauce


8 comments:

  1. your blog looks YUMMMMY Le!!! :) I really need to learn how to cook, because i love food so much, i would be hopeless without my mom! haha, maybe i'll experiment one day. oh i started my blog, but i havn't had time to post much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't know unless u try Liz! hehe Your mom is a great cook! What's ur blog? I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna get a Kitchen Aid Mixer when I grow up. =) I love Banh It! My mommy makes really good chay ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me so hungry! And I miss your family so much! =( I got my sister a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas... though I'm a little late on actually sending it to her. Hahah. Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Julie, when you grow up? aren't you grown? hehe. Sears was having a deal on mixers - but i'm sure you'd be able to find a better bargain if you put your deal finding skills to work! Your mom is a good cook too, mi xao at the baby shower was delish!

    Gotta love our mommas!!

    @Thu, sorry for making you hungry! I know, it's been a long while since I've seen anyone in your family! We should really squeeze in a lil reunion this year. You can send it out with the baby's stuff (how exciting!)- or better yet, hand deliver it all with a visit to the sister's! Miss you too love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. No, I'm grown up when I have I graduate, have a job and living on my own. I am still a kid. :)

    I don't know if I'm REALLY gonna use it yet so I'm holding off. Have you ever tried to make banh bot loc with it yet? I wonder if it'll be any good at kneading the dough well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what we're waiting to test it on...some Tapioca starch...I wonder if it's up the job. hehe I'll test it out soon. How great would it be?!
    Okay, that makes me a big kid then...since I'm not on my own yet. =D

    ReplyDelete