February 25, 2010

Braised Fish | Ca Kho To

So I attempted to make the popular Vietnamese braised fish in a clay-pot dish because it look so yummy. I've had ca kho chua with sour mustard and just plain ca kho made with fish sauce and spices, but never actually had ca kho to. I always thought it would be too sweet.

Using a regular pan because I have not clay-pot.


Catfish nuggets seasoned with fish sauce, garlic, and pepper flakes.


Heat up a few spoons of sugar with a little bit of water.


After so long, it will turn into a caramel color.


Take it off the heat, add a little more water, the marinaded fish, and cut pieces of chili peppers. Give it a good stir and back on the heat.


Simmer until the sauce reduces. Garnish with more pepper flakes, chopped scallions, and cilantro.


Serve with rice.

It was good, but some changes for next time:

- Purchase a claypot - Will probably get a better flavor.
- Use a firmer fish - Catfish nuggets are way too soft.
- Make more caramel sauce - I was hesitant to use too much sugar because I didn't want to make it too sweet - but it would make for a nice, thicker sauce. I tried reducing it too much and overcooked the fish. =/


5 comments:

  1. Wow this is something that I have been wanting to cook, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fish makes a big difference so that it doesn't fall apart during the braise..clay pot isn't essential but does look prettier http://ravenouscouple.blogspot.com/2009/08/ca-kho-to-vietnamese-braised-fish-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try it 3HT! I'm gonna try making again sometime.
    RC, I should've known Catfish nuggets wouldn't hold up as well as just catfish steaks. I read in a vietnamese cookbook that a claypot enhances the flavor. Yours look really pretty and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I better see cook some viet food MaiL!

    ReplyDelete