February 1, 2010

Preserved Fruit & Vegetable Candies | Mut Tet

It's that time of year! In preparation for Lunar New Year, which is only 2 weeks away, we've started making some of the essential dishes often eaten during this celebration.

The first of which is candied carrots, coconut, and ginger.


1 regular pack of carrots (about 12) cut into thin ovals and blanched.


About 4 pounds of ginger, cut into thin ovals as well. Blanched with lemon juice to keep from browning.


3 Coconuts, flesh removed from it's shell, and cut into long thin strips using a potato peeler (the one from the asian market works best). Blanched slightly.


In a hot shallow pan or electric skillet, add the fruit/vegetable and the same amount of sugar.


After a few minutes, the sugar will dissolve into a thin syrup.


A few more minutes go by, the sugar is bubbling and thickening. The fruit/vegetable will also become translucent like.


It's getting really thick. Make sure to keep stirring.


The sugar has crystalize again.


Pour the contents out on some parchment paper or newspaper, and press them out flat while they're still hot so that can dry.


The same process is done for the carrots...


and coconut. You can also add food coloring to make colored 'Mut'.


I find the Mut a little too sweet, but the inger ones are delish. Serve this with tea to guests.

2 comments:

  1. You have officially made me homesick! Although I dont normally indulge in these auspicious treats, they look so yummy when the closest food item I have to home is my empty rice cooker and my attempt at making Trung Kho last night. Since I don't normally eat pork I used Cha chay, which isn't always delicious. At any rate I get to fly home for TET, first time in many years! Looking forward to all the yummie foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try to make Cha Chay Kho Trung sometime see if it's any successful. hehe it would be a challenge. TET isn't like what it use to be anymore, everyone everywhere busy with school and work. I'm glad you'll be home for Tet, nothing like being with family on the holidays!

    ReplyDelete